To collect rain water, you need to select rain barrels made for rain capture.
- Should be easy to install with a modular design to expand capacity by simply linking multiple barrels
- Barrels should installed at least 6 inches above ground for gravity discharge or to allow filling a bucket
- Barrels stand can be made out of two 2×6 pressure treated lumber custom cut to size sitting on concrete blocks
- Barrel spigot should be bronze not plastic Barrel top/cover should be easy to open for cleaning
- Barrel filter should be easy to clean and prevents mosquitoes from going in Install overflow hose to divert excess water to a diverter away from the foundation
- A good rain can fill three barrels connected to each other in two days
- Some Water Districts offer rebates. You need to submit an application before you start your project for approval.
- Lastly, you will have fresh rain water to use in your garden during the summer and you save on water bill.